Loudoun Cares Volunteer Awards Press Release
Updated: Oct 27, 2020
For Immediate Release
Loudoun Cares Celebrates Volunteerism in Loudoun County July 24:
Tony Howard and Chair Phyllis J. Randall Join to Honor More than 100 Volunteers in Free, Virtual Event
Leesburg, VA July 10, 2020- On July 24th Loudoun Cares will honor more than 100 volunteers across 14 categories in its first ever virtual 2020 Outstanding Volunteer Awards celebration. This event annually honors volunteers for their outstanding contributions to making our community a great place to live during the year preceding the award ceremony.
Along with adult, senior, youth, and specialty categories, Loudoun Cares has added a new Veterans Volunteer award. The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors were also given the opportunity to recognize a volunteer in their district while the Chair-at-Large Phyllis Randall is recognizing a volunteer across Loudoun County.
This year Loudoun Cares has announced that their award that honors volunteers that have served Loudoun County for a decade or longer, has been renamed the Judy Hines Service of a Lifetime Award to honor the award’s first recipient and long standing Loudoun County volunteer and philanthropist.
Host a “Viewing Party,” schedule a virtual “Happy Hour,” or just pull up a couch and JOIN US in thanking the true “givers” among us! You can register FREE for the event here: https://2020-loudoun-cares-ova-awards.eventbrite.com. The program will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Award Honorees include
- Judy Hines Service of a Lifetime: JB Sandefur, Loudoun Free Clinic
- Gabriella Miller Youth Volunteer: Shreyaa Venkat, NEST4US
- Chairperson Volunteer Recognition: Angelo Wider, Community Services Board (CSB)
- Ashburn District: Ashburn Volunteer Fire and Rescue
- Broad Run District: NEST4US Volunteer Team
- Catoctin District: Tree of Life Ministries Volunteer Team
- Dulles District: Dr. John Farrell - Loudoun County Health Commission
- Leesburg District: Tammy Carter - MLK March “I Have a Dream Committee”
- Sterling District: Women Giving Back Volunteer Team
- Outstanding Adult Volunteer: Dr. Jennifer Hickman - Loudoun Free Clinic
- Outstanding Adult Volunteer Team: Janelia Charity Team - HHMI Janelia Research Campus
- Outstanding Senior Volunteer: JB Sandefur - Loudoun Free Clinic
- Outstanding Senior Volunteer Team: Dulles South Senior Center Dance Instructors Team
- Outstanding Veteran Volunteer - Samuel Tomlin: Boulder Crest Foundation (Retreat)
- Outstanding Volunteer Team: (tie) Educando Con Amor Computer Skills Team, St. Gabriel’s church
- Outstanding Volunteer Team: (tie) Backpack Buddies, Galilee Church
- Outstanding Volunteer Project: Dinner on the Rooftop, Charles Schech, The Wine Kitchen, & Osborne Events
- Outstanding Volunteer Project Leader: Laurie Snarr, Loudoun Abused Women’s Shelter (LAWS)
- Outstanding Youth Volunteer Team: Youth Advisory Council (YAC)
- Outstanding Corporate Volunteer Team: DPR Construction - Loudoun Habitat for Humanity
- Outstanding Community/Civic Volunteer Organization: Rotary Club of Leesburg
Congratulations to all our Loudoun County volunteers and we are so appreciative of your service to our community.
Outstanding Volunteer Awards Event Sponsor: Makpar Corporation
Outstanding Volunteer Awards Youth Category Sponsor: Dream Financial
Outstanding Volunteer Award Sponsors: DC Prime; Stitely & Karstetter PLLC, The “C” Suite Solution, State Farm Agent Lou Kelaher, Oasis Aveda Spa & Salon at Dulles Town Center, NOVA Biz Builders BNI, and Modern Mechanical.
For more information on sponsoring this year’s awards please contact email@example.com
For more details about Loudoun Cares visit Loudoun Cares website (https://www.loudouncares.org/), Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/GivingTuesday) or follow @LoudounCares on Twitter. For ways to give back in Loudoun County visit the Loudoun Cares online Volunteer Center (https://volunteer.loudouncares.org/) to get inspired and find volunteer opportuniteis.
Valerie Pisierra, Executive Director
About Loudoun Cares
CONNECTING THOSE WHO SERVE WITH THOSE IN NEED TO BUILD A STRONGER COMMUNITY
Loudoun Cares is a Leesburg-based nonprofit serving the Loudoun community through its online Volunteer Center and the ConnectLine. Loudoun Cares’ Volunteer Center is the county’s only online portal connecting volunteers with local nonprofits in need of support. In 2019, the Volunteer Center connected over 1,000 volunteers to local nonprofits. The Center currently has over 220 nonprofits registered and receives between 80-100 new volunteer registrations each month. The ConnectLine is an iInformation & referral helpline that specializes in connecting people in need with resources, information or referrals to local service and support providers. In 2019 alone, the helpline fielded more than 2,000 calls and connected more than 900 households with organizations that could help them through hardship.
For more information about how to volunteer or to request volunteers, please visit www.loudouncares.org or call 703-669-2351. If you or someone you know needs help, call 703-669-INFO (4636).